The Federal Governent of Nigeria through the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC)/Regional Disease Survellance Systems Enhancement Project (REDISSE) invites Eligible individual vererinarians/candidates to indicate their interest in providing the service below:
JOB: Consultant - Engagement of Veterinary Officer in States with inadequate Human Resources
Reference No: IDA 5979-NG
Project: Regional Disease Survellance Systems Enhancement Project (REDISSE)
Duration: Initial Period of 12 calender Months
- The Federal Republic of Nigeria has recieved financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the Regional Disease Survellance Systems Enhancement Project (Phase II), and intends to apply part of the proceeds towards payments under the contracts for Engagement of Animal Health Officers as ad hoc staff in states with inadequate human resources.
- The REDISSE project was initiated by the world bank to cover all countries in the ECOWAS sub-region as a consequece to the 2014-2015 West Africa Ebola crisis. The project is cross sectional with both Human health and animal health sectors implementation. The project promotes regional collaboration among ECOWAS countries, in order to ensure that gaps in disease detection and outbreak response across the West Africa sub-region are effectively addressed. Successful implemntation of the project is envisaged to minimize the health and economic consequences of major disease outbreaks. The REDISSE project was formally launched in Nigeria on the 27th of april 2018.
- The Project Development Objective (PDO) is to strenghten cross sectional and National capacity for collaborative disease survellance and respose in Nigeria, it seeks to address systemic weaknesses within the animal and human health systems that hinder effective disease survellance.
- Disease survellance, containment and response to unexpected disease events require skilful work force that can be mobilized within a short time, preferably within 24hrs. However, there is an acute shortage of public animal heath workforce in some states in Nigeria, due to prolonged embargo on employment in these states. The situatution is worse among 12 states (Bayelsa, Benue, Edo, Ebonyi, Ekiti, Enugu, Gombe, Imo, Kogi, Nassarawa, Plateau and Rivers) that have less than 10 qualified registered veterinarians in the state public service. The scenerio may take the implimentation of project activities in such state ineffective. Therefore, there is the need to engage ad hoc veterinarians in such states to bridge the gap, preparatory for them to transform into primary health service providers in these states after the project tems.
The project comprises of five components:
component1: survellance and information system
component 2: strenghtening labouratory capacity
component 3: preparedness and emergency response
component 4: human resource management for effective disease survellance and epidemic preparedness
component 5: institution capacity building, project management, cordination and advocacy
Scope of Accessment
The scope of work for the position is but not limited to the underlisted services to be performed:
ready to work in any state of the federation, under the supervision of the state director of veterinary services (DVS)
carryout day to day field epidemological activities as assigned by superior officers
participate in animal disease survellance and veterinary public health activities in the state
provide technical supprt and supervision for the animal disease survellance agent in the state
attend technical meetings as may be assigned by supervisors
participate in implementation of the REDISSE project activities in the state
carry out other activities as may be assigned by the supervisors from time to time
prepare monthly report of activities to the DVS in the state and REDISSE animal health sector cordinator (AHSC)
Qualifications and Experience
- He/She must have a basic qualification of doctor of veterinary medicine(DVN) degree and registered with veterinary council of Nigeria
- The sucessful candidate to be employed must show a basic proficiency to provide veterinary services, disease survellance , and disease outbreak invesigation, prompt response to disease events, animal handling and writing of report.
- Computer Literate and experience of working in a veterinary/animal health service establishment will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 2 yrs post DVM qualification
Method of Application
Interested and qualified individual vetenarians/candidates must provide information through thier curriculum vitae demonstrating that they have the required qualification and relevant experience to perfornm the services. In addition, the individual veterinarians/consultant is required to submit a letter of interest in their assignment indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
Expressions of interest (EOLs) must be delivered in a written form and in sealed envelop to the address below:
REDISSE Project Cordinator,
Nigerian Center for Disease Cntrol, Annex,
Plot 804, Ebitu Ukiwe Street,
Attention: The animal health sector cordinator
- The attention of interested veterinarians is drawn to section III, paragraph 3.14, 3.16 & 3.17 of the world bank procurement regulations for IPF borrowers July 2016, Revised November 2017 ("Procurement Regulations"), setting forth the world bank's policy on conflict of interest
- A veterinarian will be selected in accordance with the individual consultant selection Procedures/Methods set out in the procurement regulations. The detailed TERM of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following website: www.ncdc.gov.ng
- Further information can be obtained at the address above during office hours: 0900 to 0700 hrs
Also note, that the deadline for this application is 12 October, 2020